Monday 9 October 2023

New Snowflake for 2023

I actually started working on this snowflake two years ago but then was struck with tendonitis and had to put it aside for a while. I never picked it back up at the time so it didn't get finished or the pattern written properly.  It was still in note form.

When I did my demo (see previous post), this was the first snowflake that I sold and I had only one. So it inspired me to get my notes back out, complete the work, and have it as my 2023 snowflake.

I would like to thank Sue for her suggestion of naming it Holly which I think suits it very well!


Below you can see the photo of the real snowflake
I was working from
(photo taken by Wilson Bentley)


I hesitated as to whether I should join the points or not as they are not joined on the real snowflake but joining them gave the tatted snowflake stability. You can see below a sample I tried where I didn't join the points but it made the snowflake too "floppy". Do you think it looks more like the real snowflake though or not?  If so should I find an alternative where the points are not joined or should I keep with the model above?  Any input would be appreciated!

Just a sample, tatting not uniform
and I've just cut the joins!
The arms are slightly longer on this one.
Is it better or not?


I know I've not been so active on my blog in the last few years and probably not so many people visit anymore but might anyone reading this be interested in test-tatting the pattern?  I just need a couple of people who can try it quite quickly and get back to me with some feedback, it would be most appreciated.



Update 10.10.23:  Thank you so much  for all the offers of help, I'm good for test-tatters now!

Best wishes,
Frivole

29 comments:

  1. Hallie in Wisconsin10 October 2023 at 00:56

    I like the first model, with the points joined. I mostly use/gift snowflakes as Christmas tree ornaments, so being stable is important. If you still need a pattern tester I'd be glad to help. I've just turned in my work for the Tatters Across Time Artisan level, so I don't have any pressing projects right now! Thanks for your blog and your patterns, I really enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Hallie! I'm the same and like to gift my snowflakes to family and friends for Christmas.

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful. Even with the points joined (which I prefer) it looks like the real snowflake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the points need to be joined, stability is important. I’m happy to test tat. ikorro@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your snowflakes are always beautiful! I like that you draw inspiration from real life for their design.
    I think the version in the first picture is the best. In nature, they are ice so they hold their shape, but tatting needs a bit of help and the joins are great for that. Otherwise, some heavy starching.
    I'd love to test it if you still need people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lavinia, thank you for your comment, please contact me with you email. :-)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I deleted the comment with my address though, I'd rather not have that around in the open.

      Delete
    4. Good idea, agree with you. :-)

      Delete
  5. I just I started on my tatting journey 2 weeks ago. I’ve made several small items. My second project I even jumped in to use beads! I would love to test the pattern. Soprano440@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear you've started to tat. I hope you keep enjoying it. Thanks for offering to test tat, I've taken the first 3 who offered. :-)

      Delete
  6. You've designed and tatted another beautiful snowflake! I do prefer the joined picots for stability. I haven't been tatting much lately, but if you're still looking for someone to test tat, I'd be happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, I'm good for test-tatters now, thank you! Glad you like the joined up version, I think I'll keep that one. :-)

      Delete
  7. Stunning!!! Joining does not detract at all from the overall look and is essential. A wee bit longer arms? Yes, perhaps a version with slightly longer dendrites would look good too. A version with bugle beads substituted for the long picots would also look beautiful. Just a few thoughts. Your snowflake is absolutely gorgeous! I would've loved to test, but am hardly tatting at present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Muskaan and I'll try one with bugle beads. I measured the arms and the proportions as it is now are actually the same as the real snowflake so I think I'll keep it like that. I did try slightly longer arms and anyway, I didn't like it as much.:-)

      Delete
  8. Hallie in Wisconsin10 October 2023 at 13:46

    Forgot to add an email above: hraywisc@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! The joined arms work, but perhaps elongate the arms? I always enjoy your blog- thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! As in response to comment above, I tried slightly longer but didn't like it as much. :-)

      Delete
  10. If you still need a test tatter, I would be happy to help. I like the version with the points joined the best - it looks more like the snowflake picture than the version with the points NOT joined. In nature, the 'real thing' would be frozen, so it would hold its shape well even without needing to join the points. In thread, though, sometimes we need to join for stability.
    StephanieW (trompeter914 (at) hotmail (dot) com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie, I sent it to the first few who offered so I'm good now. Agree with you about the joins. :-)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, did you get my email?

      Delete
    2. No, I haven't gotten an e-mail, but then again, some people have had trouble sending me e-mails.

      Delete
    3. What's the best email to contact you please? You can just write to me at frivole*at*btinternet.com. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. I think joining the picots makes it much nicer to look at and to tat. "Real" snowflakes are a mystery of nature!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ein hübscher Stern ist das. Ich würde ihn gerne nacharbeiten
    Lg Joscha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!