Saturday 2 April 2022

Think I found it!

Yes, I think I found the way I'm going to make that final round on the bottom edge of the collar.  I wanted to stay as close as possible to the original so I kept the arrangement of three small rings in the space between the scallops but I joined them differently, especially as I had removed the small ring that would have been there from the previous round.  So we're now making three new small rings to fill the space between the scallops.




As you can see, it's definitely not the same but I hope you'll feel I'm keeping close enough to the spirit of the original.

Part of the problem I was finding, if you look at the photo below, was how to move between those two rings without having a fairly long piece of thread carried on the back.  My guess is that there is a piece of thread carried on the back and I think you can see part of it on the top side of the left little ring (where the left arrow points).  That's the thing when working with just one shuttle, you can't make a chain to take you to the next point if needed, you can only carry the thread so you want to avoid having large spaces to cross (I hope that makes sense what I'm saying).  I'd love to be able to examine the back of the original collar!


Photo of original collar from Priscilla Tatting Book No. 2


You can see on the photo below where I have tried tatting the last round as it is written: the mirrored piece is pushed under and I have put the carried thread on top so you can see where it has to travel from and to.  I couldn't see any other way to make that join between the three rings without having that long carried thread which would be on the back.



By making the three small rings on the same round (as per my modification) you only have to carry the thread a short distance between each picot.  I have to say that I do like the look of the mirrored ring and chains that were used in the original but I tried and tried and just couldn't make that part fit nicely for me.

That third round is now making the collar curve and I think it's going to look great!  



Right!  I now need to figure out how to make the neck edge of the collar. 

More testing!

Best wishes,
Frivole

13 comments:

  1. Your solution looks perfect! I think the inside of the collar would be more challenging for me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane. I'm working on the neck edge now and I think I found a solution there too. New blogpost coming up soon. :-)

      Delete
  2. So beautiful and elegant already!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful collar and very elegant design well done on sorting out the little ring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, I hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
  4. What you've got so far looks great! I'm curious to see the neck edge finishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilee! Neck edge coming soon... :-)

      Delete
  5. Your solution is amazing. I feel like it keeps the spirit of the original while allowing it to breathe more, and thus makes all the elements more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Ariane. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!