Monday, 4 November 2019

Giant Shuttle

... and I mean GIANT!  I want to work with rope to make large-scale tatting so I 3D-printed a huge tatting shuttle.  It does "work" but I must admit it's not easy to wield.  The shuttle is a bit slippery and so wide that it's difficult to hang onto!  Also when working at that scale, you can't make the stitches around your hand as in normal tatting.  So I have to wrap the loop around the back of a chair, or even around my knee or my foot while I make the stitches.  When making chains, I also trap the rope under my foot for tension.







You can see it next to a regular shuttle
for comparison purposes:



I have ideas for this giant tatting but many problems to resolve before I can bring them to fruition!

Best wishes,
Frivole

15 comments:

  1. This is an undertaking on a giant scale, I look forward to seeing one of your snowflakes on a giant scale. all I can say is good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite an undertaking! It makes me think of something I read once, that a shuttle is just a device to hold thread. Giant thread, giant shuttle, makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this might make the world book of records 👍❤️👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are off to an awesome start!!! :)
    I was wondering how you would make the ring and work the tatting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, that is a large shuttle! I'll be looking forward to seeing your giant creations. Have you seen the architectural lacemaking done with rope by Manca Ahlin on her website, Mantzalin ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is so interesting! Looking forward to what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is a huge shuttle.
    Can’t wait to see what else you will be tatting with it.
    —
    Claire
    OClaireDeLune.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Das ist ja ein riesiges Shuttle. Bin auf das Projekt gespannt

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's amazing! Shuttle perfect for long-sighted tatters or to put on an exhibition, love it! Gosh, you should tat fs/bs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fouraught@gmail.com19 May 2022 at 13:58

    You might consider a smaller net making shuttle that fish catchers use .
    I am probably late in commenting on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, sorry I missed your message.

      Delete
  11. Judith Twitchell9 November 2024 at 06:36

    Have you tried working with (or adapting) a fishing net repair shuttle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith, and yes, I did try a version of a net shuttle (homemade), thank you for the suggestion! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!