Tuesday 14 August 2018

Square or Rectangle? (Pattern Available - and Video!)

I'm just one short of 25 repeats of the medallion... photographed on the patio under the setting sun.

I'm now wondering whether I should keep going with a square or carry on at this width and make a rectangle, like a runner type of piece.  What do you think?  I'm already thinking of what sort of border I could come up with to complete the piece when I feel it's the right size... or when I've had enough of tatting medallions!  :-)



Here is the pattern for anyone who'd like to give it a try.  

One-Shuttle Medallion
Clicking on image will take you to the pattern.

I hope you enjoy it!

Update:  I have now also published a video that shows how to make this medallion from start to finish.  You can find it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odFya2noWwE


Best wishes,
Frivole

14 comments:

  1. Knowing your love of squares, I vote for square! Thanks for sharing your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would keep it square! The medallions look great joined together - no matter how large you decide to make it. I look forward to seeing what kind of border you add to finish it off. Thanks so much for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so beautiful!! :) Whatever shape you decide on will be wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s lovely! Perhaps it depends on where it’s going to be put? Rectangle is more traditional maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I can't get over how square the medallions end up looking when joined! I vote for the rectangle myself. The light on your patio is gorgeous as is the tatting! Thank you for the pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprising isn't it? Also interesting to see the cross that forms at the intersection.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your comments Tatters! Although I love squares, I think I'm leaning towards a runner at the moment. We'll see where this takes me... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ganz herzlichen Dank für das Muster und auch das Video. Ich werde es demnächst ausprobieren.
    Beeindruckend wie das Muster des Medaillons aneinandergereiht wirkt. Es ergibt bestimmt einen schönen Läufer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing the pattern, knowing you it will end up as a square.
    Sorry for the late comment I have been to Brussels

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of your videos are fabulous and I'm speechless after watching this one! So many techniques including mock picots and hiding threads, not to mention tatting rings-only medallions without cutting and tying, and some finger tatting. It's amazing how these medallions can form a square doily! I've never fully understood the magic loop, and now I do.

    Really, this video is fantastic, beautifully presented. How can anyone not see the total efficiency of the bobbin shuttle and the slip/slide method of tatting.
    Thank you for taking the time to do this. Perfection in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Очень понравилось ваше видео! Все просто и понятно👍💖

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, I like that little medallion, thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous pattern. It felt like a puzzle! Thanks sooo much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!