This is the idea that occurred to me when I made the little red sample from the previous post. Once it started trotting in my head, I couldn't leave it alone!
I tried different colour combinations.
Above is a variegated green with a solid pink.
Below is black and cream
(this one looks prettier in real life,
I'm going to work on that one again)
And next I reversed it
and used a solid green with a variegated for the petals
With this stitch count, the border has a tendency to curve around a bit which give it great flexibility of use as it will go around a square, an oval or a round centre (like my recent Viola pattern). But I am working on the stitch count so that it will sit straight also (there will be more than one version for this again). It already sits straight easily with only very light help but I want to make a version which is "naturally" straight.
You can also make the centre of the flowers
the same as the petals for a different look:
This would work nicely with another variegated so there
is still some contrast between the centre and the petals
(I need to tat yet more samples!)
And it also makes a really pretty medallion.
Now there is a lot going on in this pattern although it may appear simple at first. New methods of doing things I've come up with for this design. The petals are done in a way I've never seen before. I like how this technique makes pretty little "puffy" petals. It brings an extra textural interest to the tatting. The colour changes are made WITHOUT a shoe-lace trick which works surprisingly well. It's going to take a little while to write up the pattern as it will need lots of explanations and photos I think.
P.S. I'm good for test-tatters already but thank you for offering!