Wednesday 18 September 2024

Tatted Flowers & Lavender

Oh I can barely believe we're already in September!  My last post was back in July, I'm really neglecting my blog.  It was a wonderful busy summer filled with travel, sunshine and happy family reunions.  How was yours?

I found this tatted double flower motif by Jan Stawasz (from his second book "Tatted Treasures") while I was tidying. What does one do with such pretties?  I have a box full of them and am really not sure how to use them.  Maybe decorate an Alice band for my niece?


While on holiday, I picked some wonderful fresh lavender and decided to make "lavender bottles". They are such a nice way to preserve lavender and the fragrance lasts for years.  They eventually dry up but if you press them a bit between your fingers the fragrance is released anew.  Great to keep in your clothes drawers.


I tried different materials to weave them with but in the end, the nicest is probably very thin ribbon as in the ones below.  I think they make the pretties diamond pattern.  The very dark purple doesn't come out very well in the photo unfortunately.


I hope you all had a lovely summer too.  After fresher rainy weather recently, we're back to sunshine and warmer temperatures this week so I'm making the most of it.  I love autumn too but always feel a little sad when summer comes to an end.

Best wishes,
Frivole

3 comments:

  1. Pretty flower. I’m sewing shopping bags and thought this afternoon that they’d make a good canvass for tatted pieces. Use them to decorate headbands, clothes, food covers, whatever. Love your lavender. Is that the same as a ‘lavender wand’?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, good ideas for using tatted lace and yes, it's the same as a lavender wand. :-)

      Delete
  2. I do love Jan Stawasz's designs, especially his floral motifs. Lavender wands are something I've been meaning to try for years. I'll have to pay attention to the best time for harvesting lavender next year. Our patch is little, but I should have plenty for my use.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!