Tuesday, 15 October 2019

Two More Pairs

I couldn't leave them alone, I had to make more after the first pair.  So one more for me in my favourite turquoise, and a pair for my daughter in forest green (her own colour suggestion).

I had to adjust the colour of the photo a little bit as the green (Lizbeth Evergreen) was so dark as to look not very green at all!

I used real freshwater pearls for the turquoise pair and black pearl glass beads for the green ones.

Yes, a lovely pattern.

Best wishes,

Thursday, 10 October 2019

Corina's Earrings

I'm a bit late to the party... as this pattern was apparently published 5 years ago?  Or maybe even before?  However, I have just discovered these earrings and thought how pretty they look.  So I made myself a pair.

A really lovely pattern by Corina Meyfeldt which can be found here.

This pattern is made with just one shuttle and is all rings.  Clever.  I made three-bead picots instead of one bead as in the pattern.  And I scaled mine down a bit (my rings have fewer stitches than the ones in the pattern).

I was wearing a check dress today and needed some earrings to match.  These are perfect.

I can see these pretty earrings are all over internet so I'm sure many of you have made them already... but if you haven't, I highly recommend the pattern.

Best wishes,

Sunday, 6 October 2019

More Earrings and Giant Tatting

As part of my university work, I've been exploring ways to make really big tatting... and also ways to use recycled/green materials.  One thing I tried is making my own yarn from old t-shirts which I then used to tat.

I ended up using two wood skewers taped together to make myself a big enough tatting needle for the yellow t-shirt yarn.

The red t-shirt yarn was even bigger!  For that one, I asked my son (who's very good with a whittling knife) to make me a really large needle.  

But really I'd like to find a way of making giant tatting with some kind of shuttle rather than a needle.    I'm putting some thought into that.

It's rather strange working on that scale... it doesn't really feel like lace-making anymore.  Still, it was an interesting experiment.  I have more ideas I need to explore.  In the photo below, you can just about see the tiny Mirabelle in its "normal" Lizbeth 20 size, next to the yellow one... just to give you an idea of scale.

I've also been making more tatted flower earrings.  I find variegated threads look pretty and very effective for flower earrings.

The day at Snowshill Manor was enjoyable (it's a beautiful property and gardens):  there were many visitors and I got to chat to a lot of people.  It would be lovely to think I may have inspired any new would-be tatters!  I now have plenty of earrings and snowflakes left over that will go into my Etsy shop.

Best wishes,