Saturday 13 October 2018

Laser Cut Qanik

As you can see, tatting is still always on my mind.  I'm trying all these new techniques but it's with lace I want to try them!

After the embroidery tests, I next wanted to laser-cut some snowflakes.  I used my Qanik pattern this time and drew it with Illustrator.

It was fascinating to watch it being cut into 3mm plywood.  The fine picots which are less than half a millimetre thick came out surprisingly well.



Even the shrapnel looks pretty!






I had two drawings:  one where I had copied the elements so it was more symmetrical (bizarrely I ended up with not symmetrical in two halves but in thirds because of the way I copied it) and one where I drew the whole snowflake so that it was like hand-made lace, not exactly symmetrical, with more "movement".  In the top photo, the symmetrical is on the left and the hand-drawn is on the right.  Can you see the difference?

I ended up with three of them after my session.  But I'm already planning what to draw and cut next time.  Those machines are really amazing!




As you can see the laser cut flake is a little larger than the original tatted Qanik but that was because some of the elements would have ended up too fine for cutting.  In this version, I drew the lines with a "bumpy" edge to simulate the look of the tatted knots something I'm going to re-examine in my next drawings.



In the next post, I'll show you the plexiglass version!

Best wishes,
Frivole

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Awesome and what fun :). Looking forward to seeing the plexiglass version :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sehr beeindruckend.Es macht bestimmt viel Spaß
    Ich freue mich schon auf die Plexiglasversion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing !!! Tatting transformed or should we say the multiple faces of tatting :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how you used your tatting into something completely different,
    They are really beautiful but there they would be it’s a gorgeous pattern

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow and wow! Who would guess that plywood tatting could be so beautiful?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!