Wednesday 10 November 2021

Snowflake 2021

First of all, the Pumpkin shuttle from the previous two posts has now been shipped to its new owner. Thank you to everyone for taking part, for your nice comments, and for your congratulations to the winner.


"Snowflake, snowflake, how I love thee!"

Now is the time of the year when I start thinking of my new snowflake.  Well, to be honest, as we're already into November, I need to hurry a little!  Sadly I have been struck again (the other arm this time) with tendonitis.  Urgh!  This is preventing me from doing so many of the things I love as they pretty much all involve a lot of small repetitive movements.  I'm trying hard to be patient but there is a lot I'd like to be doing right now.  So only very minimal tatting allowed to try not to aggravate it further.

Not the best situation to try to design a new snowflake in.  *Sad Face*

As I'm sure you know by now, I particularly like to base my snowflake designs on real snowflakes, taken from photos by Wilson Bentley. There is so much variety in real snowflakes!  There are truly fascinating.  Every year recently, when comes time to design a new flake, I flip through the pages of my book and wait for one to catch my eye.  This year, it's this one:


I started first by working on the interestingly shaped tips.  In the first version (top right on the image below) I left the arms unattached as per the real snowflake.   But I find they are a bit too floppy so in my second version, I attached the bottom JKs to each other.  I also slightly changed the shape of the tips to make them look more like the original:  flatter and wider than in my first version.  I added a picot in the middle of the JKs to elongate them, again to look more like the shape of the tips of the real flake.


I'm making good progress but I'm not quite there yet, more testing and sampling required.  I'm pretty happy with the arms but I'm still debating what to do with the centre.  If I want to keep to the straight lines of the real snowflake, I'll have to use lock chains... but I could allow myself a bit of artistic licence and use split rings and chains, which is what I did in the bottom version.  But that centre is too full so I'm testing again to get it looking a bit more like the real snowflake.  I'm also trying my best to keep the proportions right by gauging my samples against the photo so that it's as much like the real thing as possible (as much as thread and tatted lace can be made to look like ice crystals that is!).

Back to the worktable!

Best wishes,
Frivole

23 comments:

  1. I admire your ability to look at Wilson Bentley's photos and design a snowflake! I tried once with no luck. It will be fun to see the final result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! Feeling frustrated at my inability to make much progress at the moment, but I hope to get to a final design reasonable soon.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and decorative snowflakes. Hope your hand gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eine sehr schöne Schneeflocke. Ich bewundere deine Ausdauer. Ich freue mich schon auf den fertigen Entwurf und auf´s ausprobieren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna! I'm glad you like it! :-)

      Delete
  4. Always love seeing your design process! I'm fascinated by how different these two versions are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It'll probably end up being a bit of an amalgam of the two but we'll see. Just frustrating not being able to tat as I so want to get it finished!

      Delete
  5. I hope your arm improves soon! It sounds very frustrating.
    I always look forward to your snowflakes and find your work on this one especially interesting. Thank you for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness!!! The ones with the arms free looks totally awesome and so much like the real snowflake!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops, that should say the one

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sue! If I keep the arms free, I need to find a way of making them a bit more stable so I need to give it a bit more thought. Thank you for your comment as always. :-)

      Delete
  7. This is looking so good; I cannot wait to see the final version and acquire a pattern for my own use in my annual Christmas cards. Hurry up, please? (NO PRESSURE, JUST ENTHUSIASM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen, thank you for your enthusiasm! I really appreciate it. There's nothing I want more than to go faster and get to a finished design... but I know how badly I paid for ignoring tendonitis the last time it struck. Finding it hard being put on enforced involuntary stop! I still do a little bit when I can so hope I can get a completed design soon. :-)

      Delete
  8. I hope you're feeling better very soon! The photo of your snowflake experiment looks very promising indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this years snowflake is going to be lovely, I think you have a lovely one coming, sand look forward to seeing the final snowflake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret! I hope you are keeping well.

      Delete
  10. The inspiration snowflake is very pretty and i'm sure your design will be very similar. I hope your arm gets better soon! Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear your arm is giving you problems again Joelle. Hope it won't be too long before you can use it fully again. Haven't forgotten you and I'll send a catch up email soon. The new snowflake is coming along nicely, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!