Wednesday 2 September 2020

Holiday Pursuits

We were lucky to be able to get away for a holiday in spite of the current circumstances.  There are some majestic pine trees around where we are so I was inspired to use the needles for basket making.  I had done a similar type of basket with dried grass a few summers ago (Grass Baskets) but it was my first time trying with pine needles.



Starting to curve up the sides...


Wondering whether to stop here or not...

Making a basket  with pine needles is quite slow work.  You have to constantly feed new needles into your gauge and the stitch I am using requires several steps per stitch so it's growing slowly.  But I do like the look of the stitch very much.  I might try a different one for a final border but I'm still undecided.


Also, after my initial trials with dogwood and newspaper rolls for making baskets (I've just realised I've not shown these on here - I'll have to make another post), I finally took the plunge and purchased some willow.  So I gave that a try too.


It's not that easy to keep a really consistent and even shape as you go up the sides with weaving.  I'm a beginner and have lots to learn!  Still, I managed to produce some functional baskets.

Base of basket before adding the uppers.


I can't believe it's September already.  I hope you were able to enjoy a nice summer wherever you are.  The weather is set to be beautiful again this week so I'll soak up as many rays as we come to the end of our holiday.

Best wishes to you all,

Frivole

13 comments:

  1. I really like the pine needle one. I’d like to see your newspaper one too, I’ve been wondering how that’s done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, I'll make a post about the other baskets next. :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely baskets! :-)

    There's lots of fine basketry produced in this part of the world, so my tendency is to collect rather than to buy. But I guess that isn't as much fun...

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tolle Körbe. Ich finde die Fichtennadel-Körbe wunderschön.
    Auch die Weidenkörbe gefallen mir sehr gut. Ich sammle lieber Körbe.
    Noch einen wunderschönen Resturlaub

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your baskets are beautiful! I'm a big fan of pine needle baskets, but I haven't tried making one yet. I did take a basket weaving class at Tatting Corner Tat Days a couple of years ago. I made a mess of things and decided I'd leave the basket making to others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, yes I find the willow basket weaving a bit trickier so far but I have some canes left so I'll keep practicing! :-)

      Delete
  5. I really like all of them - but I especially love the pine needles. And the smell would be wonderful, just as an added bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you're right Megan: you have to soak the needles in boiling water to soften them and make them pliable... and the smell is wonderful!

      Delete
  6. The pine needle basket is so beautiful. I especially love how the stitches are so highlighted and the pattern created by them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pine needle basket! The stitches add a special touch.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!