Tuesday 27 August 2019

The Joys of Summer Holidays

I love the summer holidays.  We're lucky to have a special place to go to and it's been wonderful to get all the children together to enjoy it with them once again.  They are now older and studying in various places so we don't get to see them as much as we'd like to.

This summer turned out to be the holiday of "art".  We've been drawing and painting and I've really enjoyed it.  Drawing has never been my forte and I wanted to practice to get better.  It's surprising what you can achieve when you put your mind to it!

One of my daughters has been really good at advising me and giving me tips on how to draw certain things, how to look at angles and really trying to draw what you see and not what you think you see!! That's the most difficult thing!



I needed to draw trees in the background of the drawing above and felt that I did know how so I did a little tree practice....  They are too detailed for what I needed but it was a good exercise in observation.





The last one is a type of tree I'd seen on the beaches in Australia and really liked the shape and look of.  At the time I had been disappointed in not being able to draw them... so I had another go after my tree practice:


I think it's a type of cypress?



A little local scene...



And one last photo of little treasures from the forest.  We love going on walks in the surrounding forest and there's always lots of pretty things to see and collect.



Lastly, I've been trying my best to get a pattern written up for my snowflake... but I keep being distracted by other things!  The stitch count is still not perfect so I find myself making yet another sample... and another... and meanwhile the pattern doesn't get written!



I hope you are all enjoying a lovely summer.

Best wishes,
Frivole

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous drawings and paintings!! :)
    Great snowflake!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easy to understand why you've been distracted from your snowflake pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, always a problem for me.. there are always too many things I'm interested in! :-)

      Delete
  3. Nice to see you're back Joelle. Another string to your bow. Your pictures are amazing. I can't even draw a matchstick man!! See you at the Tatting Day in September.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all lovely pictures, paintings and drawings, talent bounding off every page. Not your forte indeed! Hah! I'm more and more convinced that you're a polymath... There literally doesn't seem to be a thing you can't turn your hands to. :)

    I can't be sure but that "beach tree" picture looks for all the world like a macrocarpa cypress to me. We have them in New Zealand too - they're very common around beaches, farmland and even up the road from my place at the golf course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan! And I'm so glad you said that about my tree... I just loved those majestic trees by the seaside, they looked amazing. I'd been searching to try to find out and thought it might be what is also called a Monterey Cypress (is that correct?) but I didn't know the name macrocarpa cypress. It's also really nice to know you were able to tell what it is from my painting! :-)

      Delete
  5. How wonderful to have time for some drawing and painting! I wish I’d have kept the drawings I did in college art classes, but of course I didn’t think they were good enough. It’s true - you have to take the time to really see what you’re drawing. Lovely work - and your holiday looks so very relaxing and enjoyable. Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!