Sunday 20 January 2019

Snow Crystals Ceramic

I got to glaze the pots I made just before Christmas.  I tried three different glazes.  When you dip the pottery in the liquid glaze and pull the pieces out to dry before firing, they look rather similar.  All three of those colours looked like various shades of pale grey... but what a lovely surprise when they come out of the kiln!

If you remember from the previous post about this, I'd pressed one of my laser-cut snowflakes into the still soft clay.  The laser-cut snowflake was drawn from my Snow Crystal tatting pattern.  I like the thought of combining pottery and tatting.






And here's a close-up of the flower pot
glazed in "apple green":




This week I'm planning on making plaster moulds with some of my tatted lace so that I can make lace pieces out of clay which I'll then apply to the surface of the pots.  That's the plan anyway...  we'll see how that works out!

I've also had a go at throwing pots on the wheel... very unsuccessfully to begin with but I'm improving.  I have a few pieces waiting to be fired and can't wait to see how they come out.  My thrown pieces are still a bit too thick and chunky but I hope that with more experience I'll improve and be able to make better ones.  I didn't have much time to play with ceramics last term so I'm enjoying it now.  But it's also time for research and writing this term so I'll have to try to get the balance right.

Best wishes,
Frivole

7 comments:

  1. What a different idea to use your snowflakes in the design on your pots, they are very unusual and different, well done on making such beautiful pots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, tatting and pottery are not a combination that immediately springs to mind! But you’re making it work in splendid fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous pottery with tatted designs!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These are beautiful! I like the designs “pressed in”, it will be fun to see them as appliqués too! I love,love, love the blue pitcher. (Catherine is doing a pottery class right now too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing article
    Sharing this on Twitter!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!