Wednesday 14 February 2018

Hanky Choice and Valentine!

Thank you for your comments on the previous post.  The variegated purple turned out more popular than expected but although the colours matched really well, I was unhappy with the look of variegated for this project.

The other choice that got most votes was the bluer green which I think matched best of the two greens so that's what I went with (although I did hesitate for quite some time and ended up working too much of both before I made up my mind!).  I'm finding it very relaxing to work this one shuttle edging and am making good progress.

The colour is not accurate at all in this photo
but it was taken in the evening with poor lighting.


However, when examining my hanky to check how many repeats I needed for each side, I noticed how badly hemmed it was...  Look at that.  It's all crooked!  The hem is not even lined up with the woven lines in the fabric.


See this corner?
Not impressed.


So I decided to undo the hem, cut the fabric where necessary and re-hem so that it has four straight and matching sides.  I made nice little mitered corners and hand-stitched the hem.  Yes, that's better.



And lastly,
today is the 14th of February

so I'd like to wish a Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!



Frivole

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful hemming! The edged hanky certainly deserves it! Happy Valentine's Day to you too!
    Katie V in NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your edging looks wonderful!!! :)
    You did a great job fixing that hanky edge!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hanky finishing is gorgeous as is the edging! I might give that one a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh perfection 💗💜❤💖💖

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s really pretty . Glad you could sort the hankie out, it would be a shame to put the edging on a wobbly edge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new hem looks wonderful... well worth the extra effort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a difference the nice hand-stitched, even corner makes! I admire your passion for excellence & the skills you have acquired and practiced. Thank you for for shsring your creations. Showing this“bump” in the process and how you handled it helps inspire me to expect “ quality” in my own handwork.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ein schöner Saum ist es geworden. DDer Aufwand lohnt sich.
    Bin schon auf den fertigen Occhi-Rand gespannt.
    Nachträglich noch einen schönen Valentintag

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Talk about "attention to detail"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a type A personality also, and it does bother one when things aren't even :) looks perfect now though.....and beautiful tatting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's one thing that gets me annoyed hems that are not straight even on skirts and dresses. You did a beautiful job of stitching. Look forward to seeing it with the edging

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you very much for your comments tatters! I finished the hem a couple of days ago and will show you photos very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your comment "examining my hanky to check how many repeats" really caught my attention. Have you done a video of this concept? I shy away from anything but the smallest repeats because I don't know how to judge the number needed. A fan, Shirla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirla, I can't say I have a particular technique as such... I always start partway down one side, then work the first corner. There is some flexibility with tatting, especially some with bare threads as you can stretch it a bit to fit. If it really doesn't fit, I will improvise an extra element if necessary or change the stitch count a bit as I'm nearing the next corner and can see how the design will fit along the edge. Not sure if that helps, but that's how I do it! Or else, you can actually tat one repeat of your chosen edging, measure it and then see how many you'd need for your hanky side and make adjustments before you start tatting by making longer or shorter joining picots for example or by adjusting the stitch count or the number of elements.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!