Tuesday 16 January 2018

Favourite Heel Please?

Sock knitters out there?  What's your favourite heel please?  I like to knit toe-up and I want to make a contrasting heel on my current pair of socks - which heel would you use for that?  I'm a big fan of the Fleegle heel but because the gusset is incorporated, I don't think it would work for a contrasting heel. The other one I use is a German short-row heel with re-inforced back and that doesn't work either for contrasting.  Can someone recommend a heel that would work?

So I finished the pair that I had started on the previous blogpost.  The wool is by West Yorkshire Spinners and it's from a bird series... this one is "pheasant".



The next pair is already started as you can see.
It's a bit of a mad fun wool by Opal.
I'm going with red toes and heels.
Hence the enquiry about the best heel.

I decided not to start these at the same spot on the repeat...
I just went with where I was after I split my 100gm ball in two.




And lastly, I was in need of a quick gift today
so I made this small Lavender sachet.
I was pleased to find a perfectly matching button
for the centre of my flower in my button box.
The sachet I made up as I went along.



Best wishes,
Frivole

10 comments:

  1. I like to knit socks, too, even I didn't make a lot compared to the numerous socks you showed us on your blog !! I made one pair with contrasting heel, once, with a thick merino yarn, that I like very much and I'm currently wearing right now !! :)
    I used a "talon en rangs raccourcis à maille double", following this tutorial :
    http://tricofolk.info/talon-en-rangs-raccourcis-avec-des-mailles-doubles/
    I know there's a lot of different "short row" techniques, so probably that others one could be used !
    Gilles

    ReplyDelete
  2. the socks reminds me of the old fruit striped gum. I wish I could tell you what heal I like but I have only knitted one pair of socks and I was lucky to sort of get them to look the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your fun colored socks!!! :)
    And the new pair looks like they will be awesome too!!! :)
    Pretty sachet!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve used the afterthought heel for contrasting heels. I think it works for both directions. Your socks turned out beautifully. I like the ‘same but not same’ ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely socks. There are different heels on wendyknits.net go to free patterns, also on you tube Cat Bordhi sweet tomato heel, or the after thought heel.
    Happy knitting

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only contrasting heel I've done is the afterthought heel. It's been so long since I've knit a pair of socks, I'm not sure I remember what I learned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my go to is the 'strong heel' - roomy and nice to do..but it wouldn't work for contrast - I too would use the after thought heel for that - socks are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your socks! I think a short-row heel or afterthought heel would work in a contrasting wool. I prefer cuff down when knitting socks. My contrasting will be the heel flap and heel turn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I have never knitted socks so I can't help you, at the moment I am knitting a pair of slippers for my sister in law whose feet are so big she can't buy a pair of slippers.
    The lavender sachet looks beautiful, love the flower

    ReplyDelete
  10. How interesting, as you knit the two pieces in one go. I know only one sort of heel making, but it won't work with this method. I am really curious what can you find out:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!