Thursday 6 December 2012

What About This One?... and Wonder Tool!

Still thinking about snowflakes - when there's so many other things I should be doing! - and how to get a more angular look and the idea of using bugle beads floated into my mind...  yes, they would make a nice angle or point, wouldn't they?  This snowflake evolved from there.


It has, in fact, lost some of the angularity given by the bugle beads because of the shape of elements I added around the beads but I still think it's worked out interesting.

This may not be for the faint-hearted:  I used thrown rings, mock rings, even loop-tatted rings and some slightly unusual joins.  But after making a series of loop-tatted rings, I've decided they're not difficult either really.  As with everything, it's just a bit of practice.   I wanted a straight up bugle bead with a ring on top so that's the technique I needed to use.

This is my first sample but I will be playing with it some more.  I'm going to try it with a larger ring on top of the bugle for one thing and I already have other ideas I want to try too... it's finding the time!  I could also have a few seed or delica beads around the edges to add even more sparkle.  As always:  so many ideas, never enough time.  And I definitely need to re-do it in different colours.





And finally, I just had to bring to your attention this wonderful little tool I just rediscovered and how perfect it is for tatting!


I've had this tiny latch hook for years, using it when making Honiton lace, which is worked with some of the finest cotton there is.  I don't know what made me think about it all of a sudden but I was finding it fiddly to get the bugle beads on the thread and my other hooks were way too big to get through the hole... so I had to use a bit of thread to get the bead onto my tatting thread... but this little hook!  What a marvel!  It's so tiny, it gets through most beads, including bugle beads.  Wonderful.

Tatted in size 20 Lizbeth, Ecru


Best wishes,

31 comments:

  1. I love the snowflake! The bugle beads really add definition, which I like. I was looking at bugle beads the other day and couldn't think of a use for them, so I passed them by. How silly of me!

    I do believe I have one of those tiny latch hooks somewhere in the dark recesses of my sewing room. I'm not sure I have the time to clean up in there between now and Christmas, but I will look for it. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love! I'd even learn the loop tatted ring for it! Gorgeous, especially on the black background! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snowflake is - well just SO snowflaky. Really, really pretty and worth the extra techniques too. I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is beautiful looking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The snowflakes are absolutely stunning! I love the idea of the long beads! I'm definitely going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning snowflake, I really like that. How great to find a tool that will help with bugle beads. When Fox said what a hassle my method sounded, I wondered if there was any alternative. There is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely snowflake. More stuff to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome looking snowflake!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Ummmm, yup that's it.....WOW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, your snowflake is so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very, very beautiful snowflake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful and beautiful snowflake, well done gorgeous pattern
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bugle beads and snowflakes are meant to go together and you have used them really well in this pattern

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the bugle beads on this snowflake - it's beautiful. The beads really give it the perfect snowflake shape.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! It has just the crystal look one needs for true snowflakes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. BEAUTIFUL SNOWFLAKE! EXCELLENT use of bugle beads - AND what a great tool! It's now on my wish list!!! I wouldn't have thought they could make them that fine! I have a huge one for hooking rugs, and smaller latch tools for my 'basic' knitting machine, but this is remarkable!

    It has definitely been a remarkable year in TatLand! SO MANY new ideas and innovations, and you've certainly been a major contributor!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love this snowflake!! It's so pretty! Good job!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely snowflake, so dainty. The colour of the beads seem to give it a really icy/cold feeling.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Piękna gwiazdeczka! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you're going to write up the pattern for this one -- no matter how many techniques -- because I think it's beautiful! I don't have a tiny latch hook, but do think a floss threader would work -- maybe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marty! I'm working on it right now. Yes, I'm sure a floss threader would work, or just a fine needle and thread works fine. It's just that the tiny hook makes quicker work of it!

      I've also got an idea for something a bit similar but without the loop-tatted rings - we'll see if it comes together.

      Delete
  21. And thank you for all the wonderful comments from every one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like to make tatted snowflakes for keepsakes and cards. Will you make the pattern available? I use fine steel crochet hook 0.4 mom from Lacis and have no problem with joining Japanese blue beads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joyful tatter, this one is now available in my Etsy shop. I've never seen a 0.4 crochet hook - I shall investigate.

      Delete
  23. What a beautifully tatted Snowflake! I wish it could be done in crochet. WOW! I really like how it made the tatting of the snowflake and the beads, just make it a truly eye-catching snowflake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - does your wish for a crochet version mean you're not a tatter? I always think tatting is particularly well suited to snowflake making… but it's true there are some very pretty crochet ones too.

      Delete
  24. Oh yes, I do not Tat.....yet. Tatting to me is a lost art that needs to be revived. My mom tatted but never had the time to teach me. I learned to crochet on Youtube, Now I think some time soon I will look to see if they have tatting tutorials as well. Youtube can be a valuable place to learn nearly anything. Yes I do Love your work it is very inspiring to me! I love snowflakes, so much I learned how to do micro macro photography so I could take pictures of " Dendrites" aka snowflakes. I do appreciate you for commenting back...shows one of being tenacious and thoughtful of others. I bookmarked your site so I can come back and just look. Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My pleasure. But I think that thanks in part to internet, tatting is not a lost art anymore! Internet has enabled tatters from all over the world to connect and share new techniques and patterns. And as you say, Youtube is also an invaluable place to learn all sorts of techniques, including tatting. I have videos myself but there are many good videos on Youtube that will show you how to tat if you so wish.
    I hope you will! Best wishes, Frivole.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!