Tuesday 24 August 2021

Orsi's Napoleon Re-Visit

A few weeks ago someone wrote to me asking about Orsi's Napoleon pattern.  I had made it back in 2011! (see this post).  The pattern is no longer available on Orsi's site but I contacted her and she kindly agreed to share the pattern and to let me show it here on my blog.



This is the one I made from the pattern she sent me.  I realised afterwards that some joins were missing and also some picots on the outside trefoils, if you were going to join several motifs together.  I now believe it's because the drawing she sent me was for a doily she made with this design (a small version can be seen here and a larger version here on her blog).  From her drawing, I made a new one with the small changes:


And here is a written version:

R8-4-4, R4+6-6-4, R4+4-8, rw

C3-5, JK10, rw, C10-3, rw

*R8-4-4, R4+6-6-4, R4+4-8, rw

C3+10, rw

JK10, C5+3, rw

R8+4-4, R4+6+6-4, R4+4-8, rw

C3+5, JK10, rw

C10-3, rw

Repeat from *




Here are four of them joined together
(taken from a 2011 post I'd published about this design)


If anyone decides to try it, please let me know if I've made any mistakes in the diagram or written pattern and I'm glad this lovely little square will now be available again to tatters.  Thank you Orsi!

Added 26.08.21:  Anke kindly gave us a link to Orsi's original blogpost about this pattern which contains drawings, it can be found here:  https://web.archive.org/web/20120202182128/http://spulni-blog.blogspot.com/p/mintak-patterns.html

Best wishes,
Frivole

19 comments:

  1. It’s splendid, well worth reviving. Yes, it would look good with multiple squares joined together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, yes I hope the lady who had enquired about it will see this blogpost if she's still interested in making it. I'm going to add an image of four Napoleons joined together since you mention it.

      Delete
  2. Es ist sehr schön und kann bestimmt für mehrere Versionen zu verbinden gemacht werden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna and yes, it looks good joined together. I'm adding a photo of four together taken from my 2011 post.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Diane... you know my love of squares! :-)

      Delete
  4. So pretty 💜 Thanks to both of you for sharing. Definitely goes on my to-tat list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, nice Muskaan! I look forward to seeing your version.

      Delete
  5. Ahh, I have been looking for a square to tat, Thanks, its on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully tatted, Frivole!
    For those who like to see the original post:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120202182128/http://spulni-blog.blogspot.com/p/mintak-patterns.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anke, thank you for finding that link! I will add it to the body of the blogpost. It's nice to see her original pattern drawings.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful square pattern, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I always like squares! :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh one of my favorite square patterns! Thank you for making it more available to tatters. I made the doily version back when Orsi posted it and currently have it pinned up on my wall. It has so much negative space that it pulls out of shape easily but the overall effect is so gorgeous. I found the pinning helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!