Monday 29 June 2020

Carnations & Wild Cherries

Hello everyone!  Two months have already passed since my last post... where does the time go?  I hope you are all keeping well.

I'm still working on the edging from the previous post but yesterday I saw Marilee's new carnation pattern so I decided to give it a try.  This was good exercise as I must admit I'd not made folded rings before or used a third shuttle to make petals as in this pattern (great idea!).  Thanks Marilee for a lovely pattern!



I made some mistakes in the first one (top left) so I made it a second time in different colours.  A very pretty flower that's quick to make to decorate a card for example.  You could also hang them from ear wires for a nice pair of earrings.

This weekend I also discovered something I didn't know:  wild cherries are edible!  Seems silly but although I've walked passed wild cherry trees on my walks in the local fields for many years, I always assumed (I don't know why?!) that they were inedible.  Armed with that new knowledge, I hurried over to the fields to collect some - I love gifts of nature like that.


It didn't take me long to fill my container.

What took much longer though... was stoning them!
The cherries are small so it's a bit of a fiddly job,
and there were so many!!

But it was well worth it
as I now have several pots of wild cherry jam.
Delicious.


Best wishes,
Frivole

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous flowers!!! :)
    I bet that jam is so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A flower that’s more complex than would first appear! It’s sweet. Wonderful to be able to pick wild fruits and turn them into jam. A friend of mine has been making elderberry champagne from roadside blooms, very pleased with herself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you there Jane, have you tried it? There's quite a lot going on in this small flower. Oooh, elderberry champagne, what a lovely sounding idea. I have made elderflower syrup before (delicious mixed with sparkling water) but have never heard of elderflower champagne. I shall look it up!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful flowers . I already admired FB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't yet tried Marilee's new pattern. It sure is pretty, and I love the way yours look! My sister and her grandchildren are visiting. Cherries are on the menu for breakfast, but I'm pretty sure there won't be any left for jam. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’d love to hear how the jam turns out! I love cherry anything.

    I also have a question— I have a very old pattern that’s calling for “1 ball ‘SILKINE’ Crochet Cotton, Article 30, Size 100”

    Any idea if this means 30 or 100 or a completely different number by modern standards? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also! I feel like the carnations could be worked somehow into a really spectacular edging... Am I crazy

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!