Tuesday 27 June 2017

Interlocking Split Rings and Crochet Top

Jeanie Schekel sent me a tutorial on how to make interlocking split rings.  I gave it a try.  Not quite perfect, but I'm getting there...

Do you have any ideas where/how you would use this technique?  What would you make with it?  I need to play a bit more and see if I could shape it into a nice centre for a motif perhaps?  It could make a neat little bracelet as is I suppose...

Once I get a better hang of it, I plan on making a video tutorial.  Oh, which reminds me, I have just made a new video on how to make the thick body for my butterfly.  If anyone's interested in viewing it, you can find it here.  I'd been meaning to make a video for it for a long time so I've finally done it!




I now feel like I need to go re-visit interlocking rings with one shuttle which I played with back in 2012 (can it really be five years ago already???!!) but not sure I will do that just this minute.  I want to keep making progress on the large green doily.


And my daughter is really pleased with how the little crochet summer crop top has turned out.  It fits her really nicely but I'm sure you'll understand why I won't show it modelled by her!  :-)





The back is more simple and I chose matching flower buttons.





Best wishes,
Frivole

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful interlocking split-rings!! :) The look like a chain, maybe they could be used for a tatted necklace chain.
    Great top!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it easier to interlock split rings than rings? I do like the crochet top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question Jane! I need to revisit the other technique. When I do, I'll write some more about it. :-)

      Delete
  3. I think I would use interlocked rings as a chain for a pendant, I would make them small for tge chain and a little larger rings as a bracelet. I might also hang some small butterflies from it which I have done in the past. I look forward to your video.
    I do like the top, great colour hope she enjoys wearing it,
    I am away again to Sheffield for an injection in my eye at the end of the week, I will check out your video on the butterfly when I get back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your message and suggestions Margaret. Sorry to hear about it but hope your medical visit goes well.

      Delete
  4. Te pierścienie wyglądają ślicznie. Brawo. A top uroczy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Love that back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sehr schöne Split-Ringe, die ineinander greifen. Ich könne sie mir als Armband oder oder dür Anhänger Halsband vorstellen.
    Danke für das Video Schmetterling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That top is gorgeous and I bet your daughter looks lovely in it! I hope my daughter doesn't see it! I watched the butterfly video, that's very clever and super simple! I love techniques like that. I think the interlocking chains could be for a necklace with a fun tatted pendant- maybe even an ice drop? And a bracelet could be very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate your instructional videos. Your voice is calm and reassuring and your demonstrations are clear. I'm new to tatting and I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn, I wish you all the best in learning to tat. :-)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. When I have seen the interlocking rings before I thought they might make an interesting chain, interspersed with beads for weight, to hang from the ends of my glasses so thst when I take them off the eyeglasses hang around my neck, i am always taking off my eyeglasses since I only need them for distance - and then can't find where I put them down. :(

      Delete
  9. I'm not sure what other uses there are for the interlocking split rings, but they do make a nice chain for pendants or lanyards.

    However, I must take this opportunity to encourage you to study my 2013 tutorial on how to make interlocking rings with a single shuttle. Really, it is so easy you will be amazed. If only I could make a video, I could quickly show how easy it is. No tears! No struggle! Joining the last ring to the first ring is a little trickier, but I've also discovered another way to do it. You may find another way as well!

    After clicking on my name to get to my blog, simply type 'Part 1 of 2' (no quotes needed) in the Search Box (and no need for the words Interlocking Rings). This will take you to both parts of the tutorial. I know you'll learn it quickly!






    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!