Saturday, 5 September 2026

Crochet Like Knitting... or Knitting-Like Crochet?

I've always liked the idea of crocheting garments... but the resulting fabric is often a bit stiff and lacking in drape (or else you need to use a fine yarn to large hook ratio, so yes, there are workarounds but still...) compared to knitting.

Then I started seeing all these new garments crocheted through the back loop only and works sideways so of course I had to give it a try!

This is the Doña Sweater by Lolacrochets. I liked the simple shape and bulky but soft stitch. Crocheted with a 6.5mm hook, I figured it would grow reasonably quickly. I'm using Drops Nepal which is a lovely soft mix of wool and alpaca. I'd bought the yarn for a different project (not for me) so this is not really in my usual sort of colours but I decided to use it anyway (in case I don't like it in the end, I've not invested too much).


The other great thing about it is that is worked in one single piece! I'm still only on the first panel but I like it so far!

Best wishes,
Frivole

11 comments:

  1. Looks great!! :)
    ~Sue(Tatting Lace in Grace)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of that yarn! Good to learn a new crochet technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an interesting pattern, not one that would look good on me, though. I started a sweater crocheting in the back loop only, and it did have a lovely drape. Unfortunately, I made a huge mistake that I didn't notice until I was well over half finished. The yarn was not good quality, so I didn't bother to try and fix it. I passed the yarn on to a student who wanted to experiment and didn't mind working with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting how it makes for a much better drape though to crochet through the back loop only, isn't it? I hope your student enjoyed using the yarn! :-)

      Delete
  4. Looks beautiful so far! Since it's such a nice, neutral color, you can probably accent it with a scarf or something else around your neck in your preferred color(s). Thanks for showing us this pattern/your work.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I hope I'll get to the end but it's not that fast growing... and as is often the case with crochet, using quite a bit of yarn! I may need to buy more...

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to the result. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going to look lovely and I look forward to seeing how it works out, not seen an item that big worked in one go. I agree it’s looks like knitting but it’s crochet, and some things made in crochet do feel harder than knitting

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!