Sunday 29 August 2021

Fair Isle Jumper Finished

I started this back in January and was (as it turns out over-optimistically) hoping to have it finished for my son's birthday in May.  Sadly May came and went and I was still knitting.  I completed the body fairly quickly but the sleeves seem to take me forever!  Fair to say though that if I had been only knitting I might have managed to finish it on time but I always have lots of things going on concurrently.

Anyway, it's all knitted now and I'm just tying the gazillion ends at the moment and then I will give it a nice wash and block before finally giving it to my son.

Whalsay Jumper Design by Hazel Tindall / Ann Feitelson



The jumper looks kinda "brownish" from a distance
but it's made of many colours including
orange, purple and plum.


That's what I love about Fair Isles,
the beautiful play of all the different colours that make a design.


All those colours does mean that at the end, you have to deal with many many wool ends from all the colour changes.  However, Shetland wool has wonderful "grippy" qualities preventing it from unravelling easily and making possible also to just knot and pull off the ends.




Here's what my seam looks like with the knotted and pulled wool ends.
With washing and wearing, the ends will gradually felt into the body of the jumper.





So that's it for the Whalsay Jumper.

I'm already wondering what my next Fair Isle is going to be...

Does anybody reading this like to knit Fair Isle?

Best wishes,
Frivole

18 comments:

  1. Oh, my! This was certainly worth waiting for! How beautiful it is! I'd probably love to knit Fair Isle, but my knitting skills are limited to knit, purl, and not quite knowing what I am doing; even knitting something very simple can be a challenge. Your work is so beautiful.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, thank you for your comment! You know you don't even need to purl to make a Fair Isle jumper... because it's knitted in the round, it's all knit stitches! They look more complicated than they really are though it's true that you do need to feel comfortable with knitting with two yarns at the same time (either both in the same hand or one in each hand). What do you like to knit when you do?

      Delete
    2. I like to knit in the round - socks, mostly. I can do a heel flap and pick up stitches for the gusset. I can even do the Kitchener stitch on the toe, but that's about ALL I can do is knit simple socks. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, superb 💜 A full length sleeve is like the front or back of a sweater and I always feel it takes more time because of its deceptiveness 😁😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, that’s absolutely gorgeous. I love knitting fair isle, though I haven’t knitted anything as spectacular as this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jane! What have you knitted in Fair Isle?

      Delete
  4. That’s a work of art! Wow 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Janet! It would be even more of a work of art if one day I could design my own Fair Isle pattern... now that's something to aspire to. :-)

      Delete
  5. Absotively stupendous! I knit Alice Starmore's QUEEN ANNE'S LACE. If you haven't seen it, take a look! It might just be your next project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, I love Alice Starmore's designs! Queen Anne's Lace is beautiful but she has so many I'd love to knit. The only one of her designs I've made so far is her Flora jacket. I need more hours in a day! :-)

      Delete
  6. Your son's sweater is a work of art! I have not knit any Fair Isle designs that I can recall, but I do have some two color mittens that I started years ago. One mitten is finished, and the other is stopped at the thumb gusset. I found them while sorting through my craft stash. I think I may finish them when the weather turns a little cooler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice find Diane! It won't take you long to complete your mittens! But that's the reason why I like to knit two socks at the same time... when you're making a pair of anything, there's always the risk of orphaned items... :-)

      Delete
    2. Hopefully you'll show them on your blog once they're done!

      Delete
  7. Great jumper and wow that was a lot of work, certainly a work of art and the colour changes I dont like fairisle myself I do prefer lace knitting or plain random wool rather than many different colour changes.
    Well done on achieving his jumper

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m stunned! That is gorgeous! I love it 😍 I can totally understand why it took so long and it’s so worth it 💯 I’ve just learned to make Selbu mittens using fair isle and I love seeing the design come together in the yarn. But I only used two colors, lol 😂 you used so many beautiful colors! I’m just in awe - I’m sure your son will just treasure his sweater 🎉

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely loved reading your blog post about your finished Fair Isle jumper! Your knitting skills are truly impressive, and the final result is a work of art.
    https://promocodehq.com/tidewe-discount-code

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!