Thursday 16 January 2020

Tiles and Resin Tests

I've been making some tests for wall tiles... tiles with lace on them of course!  These are my first batch.  I wasn't completely happy with my mould (the definition of the lace pattern, when seen up close is a bit messy) and now have a much better one which I will be testing very soon.  But I still like the look overall and can't wait to see what they will look like once I glaze them.  I'm already wondering which bit of wall in our house I could install these to!




I thought I'd also try to make a mould from Fimo - I had some at home and thought, by using Fimo, I wouldn't need to wait the way I have to for clay to dry and be fired.  It produced a good imprint of the lace... but unfortunately, it's too sticky when trying to make clay tiles with it.  I will make more bisque clay moulds instead, they work really well.  



And finally I've been trying some small test pieces with resin which I plan on using for part of my main and last project.




What are you guys up to at the beginning of this new year?  

Best wishes,
Frivole

10 comments:

  1. Awesome projects!!! :)
    You are so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hexagon tiles, simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I was going to go for square but I thought the hexagon made a nice change and also fit tatted snowflakes very well! :-)

      Delete
  3. The tiles are lovely Joelle. Have you seen our local tatting friend Kate Sharp's tiles in rainbow colours with tatting on which she got a company to make for her bathroom? She brought a sample along to one of our tatting days once and I seem to remember she sent pictures to the Ring of Tatters. I'll see if I can find the newsletter and bring to our tatting day on 21st March. We may have a couple of new people coming along, so I'll ask Kate to bring her sample again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, yes I remember Kate showing us photos of her bathroom with her tiles! :-)

      Delete
  4. Your tiles are lovely and a brilliant idea,
    You have certainly have some interesting projects coming up.
    You asked what we are doing at present I am knitting for the Joey pouches for Australia, the poor animals need our help. the arthritis in my hand is painful but worth for the poor animals. I am also finishing off the item I will be doing a giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great project Margaret! It's so tragic to see the images coming from Australia...

      Delete
  5. Love those tiles, If I had a row of those tiles i would pull out a few and replace with one or two, just for interest. Right now I am trying to finish up some projects started at workshops but I keep getting distracted by other shiny objects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernice, yes I agree! I would have some plain ones with a few accent lace tiles among them - is that what you meant?

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!