Sunday 26 February 2017

Had to Give This a Go...

Ever since I saw this for the first time, I kept thinking I'd just have to give it a try!  I'm knitting another pair of socks (should show you the last pair I made, I forgot to post about it).  Using leftover wool from other pairs.  This is a pair of socks, at the same time, on one circular needle... knitting one sock inside the other!

It just had to be tried.  So you knit with two balls of wool, one for each sock.  Mine are front to front so I'm knitting the back of the outside sock and the front of the inside sock.  I'm purling the outside sock and knitting the inside sock.

So far so good.   It'll get interesting once it's time to start turning the heel!


I pulled the inside sock out a bit so hopefully you can see how it works.  Purl one stitch from the outside sock, then knit one stitch from the inside sock, and so on.  While you're working the inside sock is hidden so it just looks like you're working on one sock.

Now I've written it and thinking about it, I don't know why you couldn't knit both socks instead of purling one and knitting the other... wonder if it's just so it's easier to keep them apart.  If you were knitting both, perhaps it would be easy to make a mistake and knit a stitch from the other sock when you're not supposed to and then your socks would be linked which you definitely don't want!

Anyway, I shall report back once I've tackled the heel!

Best wishes,
Frivole

18 comments:

  1. reminds me of double-knitting a hollow pouch (don't remember the exact term) ! Of course there one skips every alternate stitch and after the entire thing is knit, one simply 'opens' up the pouch which is the best part ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds interesting Muskaan, is it a pattern you made yourself? Is there a link?

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I just saw this ! Will look up my knitting books for the correct terms, etc. and send you an email, perhaps a scan

      Delete
    3. Hi Muskaan, not to worry! I don't want to cause you any work! Just wondering if you just had the info at the tip of your fingers.... :-)
      Just curiosity on my part.

      Delete
  2. Having done a pair this way when Piecework did an article on it, you want them facing right to right or wrong to wrong because otherwise the decreases for the heels are a complete mess. Make sure you pull them apart every once and again to make sure you haven't knit them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, nice to hear from someone who's done it - what was your verdict? Thanks for the tip, and yes, I check regularly to make sure I've not knitted them together! :-)

      Delete
    2. If I did it again ( and I will have to eventually because I knit two different colored socks the first time) I would split them and do heel flap heels separately instead of simultaneously knitting two short row heels. Picking up the gusset would be interesting but I hate how the short rows fit. i also want to try it toe up just because, why not? As long as you have a good grasp of sock architecture I'm pretty sure this method works for any heel/toe. Would not try it with a cabled pattern-- I have to draw the line somewhere.

      Delete
    3. Hi Anna,
      Thank you for coming back and telling me more about it. As you might see from my latest post, I decided not to complete the whole pair this way. It was a really interesting experiment but I was not enjoying knitting this way really and mostly, I was unhappy with the feel of the knitted fabric that resulted. Anyway, although I didn't get to the end, I can say that I tried it and know how it works but I feel it's not worth it. I'm happy to carry on with two at a time but side by side!

      Delete
  3. Goodness. Boggles the mind. I look forward to hearing your verdict when you've finished. (don't forget!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you like to knit socks too. I'l be sure to give the verdict when I'm done. That's if I don't get too confused around the heel part! :-)

      Delete
  4. I've read about that technique, but I've never been brave enough to try it. I can hardly wait to see how your socks turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! My brain hurts from looking at this. 😄 Maybe after some coffee it will make sense, tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first I was totally buffered, totally confused but I am sure as you knit on and we see more I can understand it better, sometimes it's easier to do rather than read about it to work it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You get 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟your good I am impressed🌹💟🌹

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty interesting even for a non-knitter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ich habe mir ein Video bei YouTube angesehen. Dort werden die Socken nebeneinander gestrickt.
    Auch das ist schon verwirrend. Aber innen und außen zu stricken, stelle ich mir vor, da die
    jeweiligen Maschen zu verwechseln. Ich denke, man muß sehr konzentriert sein.
    Evtl. versuche ich dies mal als nächstes Projekt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna,
      Yes, two side-by-side is the way I often knit my socks. Two on a long circular needle, that works really well I find. I'm not convinced at all yet that this way (one sock in side the other) is going to be a good way but I just wanted to try it, at least once. You are right, it does require more concentration because you risk knitting the two socks together. It's good to check regularly that they are still separate as you work. :-)

      Delete
  10. Sigh. I have yet to successfully create a pair using any method. Can't even get the crochet method right. But I totally understand wanting to take up the challenge of figuring it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!