So I made it fit.
Actually I could fit the last butterfly but what I was short of was a ring below to attach the second half of it. I'm afraid in this case, I improvised and changed the bottom part slightly to make it fit in what I hope is a not-too-obvious manner. If you examine the whole edge closely, you'll see it but I think at a glance, it's not glaringly obvious. Phew!
Ok, enough of an introduction, here it is:
and here with a shuttle
for size reference
I couldn't remember how many balls of Lizbeth I used…
so I weighed my doily: 88 grams
(not much weight for all that work!)
so that 3½ balls of Lizbeth Mocha Light.
I'm certainly pleased I finally got to the end (even if not perfectly)
If just for that reason, I'm going to celebrate.
I even widened the columns of my blog for this post
so I could have one larger image of the completed piece.
It does look rather nice on this last photo.
Yes, you're right, my title was a tad over the top (I was just having a laugh and being a bit of drama queen!), obviously, it's not that tragic and I have a large piece of lace to show for but I wouldn't recommend this particular design for anyone else to tat. After the second round of butterflies, I wasn't really enjoying myself and all those long chains kept misbehaving and needed a lot of coaxing into place. I debated when I got to the last round whether I needed to change the stitch count slightly to try to get it to frill less. In the end I went with what was written but in spite of all my efforts, it still doesn't lie flat properly, which is a shame… and then to get to the last butterfly and find that I couldn't attach that last chain…
Anyway, enough about it. Thank you so much for cheering me along. Your words of encouragement always mean a lot to me. At last, it's done. Dusted. Time to move on. Definitely happy about that. :-)