Friday 31 July 2015

Tatting in the Sunshine

We've not been having too much of a summer yet but yesterday was beautiful!  At the end of the day, I sat in the garden and tatted a little in the setting sun...


As I have found before, Jan Stawasz's diagrams can be difficult to decipher and follow.  The numbers are all over the place so you keep having to search for the relevant stitch counts (when some of them aren't missing altogether!)… so I usually draw myself a little diagram of my own to follow.


 I'm now working on these little triangular pieces to fill the gaps before starting on the next round of split rings which will go all around the edge.  I have 12 to make.  I managed to make 8 yesterday so only 5 left to go.  I find the use of "magic loops" invaluable when working on small motifs like that as it makes hiding ends neat and quick.  I'm really won over by magic loops and find that's the method I now use most often to hide ends.



My mother-in-law came back from holiday and brought me… apricots and tomatoes!  First I made a batch of apricot jam, french style, soft set, with less sugar and flavoured with a bit of vanilla powder.  The flavour of the apricots is really wonderful.  I didn't photograph the jam but next I made a batch of chutney.  I'd not made chutney in a while.  I like seeing the fruit, veg, and other ingredients in my giant preserving pan (this was a recent gift from a friend who was not using it).


I also added a little fresh chilli to it with all the spices.



Sadly, it only made three jars!  But I'm pleased with how it turned out.  Will be delicious with some mature cheddar.  The tablecloth I photographed the jars on is one I embroidered when I was first married, to match our wedding china.  It turned out I never used the tablecloth much at all.

Here's hoping for another beautiful sunny summer day!

Best wishes,
Frivole

15 comments:

  1. Muszę pisac po polsku bo w angielskim zrobilabym tysiac błędow.Tez wykorzystuje pozne popoludnie na frywolitki , lato jest takie krotkie.Serweta jest piękna .Wzory JS traktuję podobnie i tez przygotowuje sobie własny rtozpis. , jego jest dziwnie rozpisany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to have to practice using the magic loop again. You see, I'm always inspired by your beautiful tatting, and I can see that your small motifs are so very neat. Mine can sometimes look messy. Maybe I'll practice a little today. Thanks for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I know not everyone gets on with them but for me, they work very well. I think they give a neat finish and they save me getting my needle out (I do not enjoy sewing ends in). And it's definitely quicker than sewing too. I'm not one for preaching, people do what suits them, I'm just saying I like using them. :-) Let me know how you get on!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a relaxing evening, I find that annoying about JS patterns, very talented he was, but less with directions :)
    Your canning looks beautiful, maybe a nice gift in the cold coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doily is wonderful already!! Can't wait to see the finished piece!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, lovely! I love sitting outside and tatting- of course there are only a few months when that's possible here. The composition of your photographs is wonderful and the chutney is gorgeous, I swear I can taste it from here. That preserving pan is great.
    I've used magic loops but mine are dental loops and not as flexible which is why I quit using them. I wonder if I can find those beading wires here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! Oh no, dental loops are definitely too rigid. The advantage of magic loops is that they are very fine and can be folded out of the way to continue with your tatting. It's called beading "wire" but it's more like thread than wire (wire rather implies rigidity). I know Jeanie is sending you some to try. I hope you like them!

      Delete
  6. Yes yes I diagram the round I am on when working on JSDesigns and must agree with your opinion on the magic loops but it does take some trials to master. I managed to make up about a dozen small jars of apricot jam but never made chutney, sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bernice, yes, I find I always have to re-draw JS for myself but his designs are worth it. I think if you follow the advice for magic loops (not inserting it into the last or first half stitch and keeping the following stitch just a tad looser, they work very well and I think it doesn't take long to get the hang of them… remembering to put them in was what took me longest!!)

      Delete
  7. What a perfect summer day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was… but today we've gone back to grey skies… :-(
      I hope the sun is shining where you are.

      Delete
  8. Es un trabajo precioso aunque yo uso aguja, no consigo otro método para esconder hilo.Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Envious of how easily you manage the magic loop. It is way too fiddly for me...sigh. I still use my teeny needles for hiding ends.

    I love the tablecloth. Your china must have been very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fox, personally I find sewing ends in fiddly! :-) So we're all different. Mostly I find using loops much quicker than sewing and that's why I like them. I'm also very pleased with the neat finish I get with them. But sewing is great too and works really well… if you don't mind doing it (like me!). :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and thank you about the cloth. I still have all the pieces of our wedding china intact (it was just a four place setting) and it does get used occasionally (for special events).

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!