I bought one this year too and made a donation. But I took it apart and kept just the centre to use in my special tatted poppy I will be wearing this year.
You may remember I started it this summer and had most of the elements completed. Tonight I tatted the last leaf and put it together.
Jennifer's pattern is very comprehensive and explains how to make all the different parts and how to assemble it. I didn't quite follow all of it (mostly the assembly bit) as I decided to use the centre from the paper poppy since I didn't have the right size black button or any floristry wire. I also didn't make the stamens in the end as I was happy with the look of the centre with the black "button" and beads all around.
Here's just the centre with beads
I will very probably re-do the centre properly at a later stage
but for now, the plastic centre got me out of a fix!
Jennifer also used floristry wire on the leaves
but, again as I didn't have any, I sewed my leaves to the back of the poppy.
See how the pattern even includes a calyx
although you don't see it from the front.
I used my 1SSCMR technique to make the pointy tip on the leaves
instead of a picot as in the pattern.
The picots on the edge of the petals face both ways alternately
to achieve the "frilly" appearance.
I think this is a gorgeous poppy pattern and one I highly recommend. My thanks to Jennifer Williams for creating and sharing it with us.
"Lest We Forget…"
Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red
The poppy display at the Tower of London.
We went to see it.
It was amazing.
It was moving.