Saturday 7 December 2013

Star Evolution

I've had this little star design in my pattern book for some time (last year I think).  I got it back out thinking this was the time for stars.  In fact, it had six sides when I started but I thought it would make a better star so I modified it to have five points instead.




Then I started playing with the design and I ended up with this:


Not at all like what I started with, is it?
Interesting sometimes, how designs evolve...




Now I'm thinking this second design would be better as a snowflake so I'd like it to have six sides!  Done in one pass (of course) and I made it so that the threads end up at one of the points when you're finished so you can use the ends as a hanging loop and no need to hide them.  Perfect.  But, if you were wanting it as a six-sided motif, then would it look better if the threads finished between two "arms" or at the tip of one again?

Best wishes,
Frivole


9 comments:

  1. I like both designs as stars; I'm sure they would both make lovely snowflakes as well.

    I generally prefer my snowflakes hanging from one point, but I suppose variety is nice. I think if a person wanted it one way or another, it would be easy enough to just start at a different place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, you're right Miranda. As soon as I tried one hanging between the points, I realised it's much better hanging from the point. I've now made one with six sides. I like it.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful as always! I agree about having the threads end on a point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very much like your snowflake of last year with the doodad, Which I made this week and is on my blog today as today's snowflake in my count down to Christmas.
    I like these snowflakes too.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, yes you're right… definitely some similarities. My mind is wandering back where it's been before. But it's a simpler design, no ornament, no SCMRs. It's an easy, little snowflake.

      Delete
  4. Ohhh!!!! Je les aime beaucoup elles sont magnifiques!!!!
    Les deux façons sont superbes!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!