I wanted my swift to come apart so it wouldn't take too much space and I could store it away easily. So I wanted the two blades to stay as two parts and I had just pinned them together when in use. Today, I used my swift again and thought I could improve... I added some pieces of cardboard so that the top blade can now slot down into the bottom blade.
I'm happy now.
Works well and stores away neatly.
And an update on the butterfly doily. Inspired by Fox's perseverance with her own large project, I am now working on row 14 which is lots of small split rings so it's a bit slow-going. The doily now measures 19 inches across (or 48cm). There are 4 more rows left after this one. I only work on this project here and there, not continuously, so it may be a while yet before it is finished!
The next round is also lots of small split rings and the doily is now so large that it does take a long time to go all the way around! And it's starting to frill at the edges again so it will need a bit of pressing soon. I have to admit that I don't like tatting designs that require a lot of coaxing into place like that! The long chains are troublesome because they need to be flattened into a sharper arch than would be naturally achieved. Not one I'm going to want to be washing too often - too much work to iron it flat again afterwards!