Tuesday 26 June 2012

Butterfly Doily Progress

I've been making progress on this... slowly but surely.  The second butterfly round (with 28 butterfly repeats) took me a while to complete.  And it's not a pattern to tat when you're distracted, I've had to do more un-tatting than I care for (which is NONE really! :-)



I was tempted to change the next round because I feel that the following round (which I'm most of the way through) and which is the same as the round after the first butterfly row detracts from the butterflies in my opinion.  Those long looped chains make them loose their definition - do you know what I mean?  I thought about repeating the same round as below the butterflies instead, thinking this would "frame" them better... maybe?  But then I thought it might mean I would have to change all the other rows so then I wasn't so sure I wanted to tackle such a challenge just now.

The only good thing is that if I decide to do the largest doily, it will end on a butterfly row (as it does now, temporarily).  This doily is now larger than my largest doily so far which was one of the two Jan Stawasz doilies I've completed.  

We like?

A few more rows to go!

Best wishes,

16 comments:

  1. MAGNIFIQUE napperon il est vraiment très beau j'aime beaucoup!!!! Bravo à vous pour l'exécution de cet ouvrage...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes , indeed, we like!! How about stopping now, with the butterflies round the edge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could Jane, you are right. And it does look lovely and finished as is. But I fancy taking on something BIGGER. So I may yet tat to the end....

      Delete
  3. This is lovely! I agree with Jane, that way you could see and appreciate the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is beautiful just the way it is! I also agree with leaving the butterflies as the outer round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just breath taking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even before reading Jane's comment, I was going to say it looks perfectly finished, with this round being the final one. It's simply gorgeous! Really takes my breath away! I've been following your progress on it!

    As you wrote in your post in April, this gorgeous design came from 'Tatting from Burda', a book which I don't have, so I looked up some info. Apparently Burda is a German publishing company, and the designs were originally written in German and printed in another publication which went out of print. For the newer publication, the designs were translated from German by Etha Schuette ("Maus"), which must have been a huge project!

    As with the Anne Orr books, the designers are unknown, but at least their designs are preserved! And today great care is taken to acknowledge the designers! One advertisement indicates that Etha also contributed some of her own designs? This book seems like a 'must have'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is absolutely wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow wow, stunning so far, I love the pattern I can see why you are thinking about it, look forward to seeing what row yo do next
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, I much prefer the butterfly row when it is NOT the last one. I find that if it is last, the eye is left searching for completion! There - another opinion to deal with!

    It is beautiful and as usual your skills are evident in the lovely pattern.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. p.s. I wonder if kathy is right in that this seems a book one MUST have! Is this true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a big question... It's a nice book... and if I could, I would buy them all! As it is, I only have barely a dozen books in my collection. I can't even remember what made me buy this one. It has a variety of patterns in it, many doilies, three garments (yes! two tops and a shawl!) and some ornaments/snowflakes. Temptation, temptation...

      Delete
  11. We like, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely tatting.
    Have posted a picture and message on my blog Lady picot about your bookmark Flowering Quatrain hope you like what I have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very nice Geraldine! I may have to give that a try too.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!